DHAKA: Another person succumbed to his burn injuries he received after a fire broke out at a house in Sahebapara of Siddhirganj upazila in Narayanganj Monday.
Md Kiron Mia, 45, son late Abu Taher of Itkhola village of in Narsingdi's Shibpur upazila died at Dhaka Medical College Hospital (DMCH) on early Tuesday.
With this, the death toll from the Narayanganj gas explosion reached two so far. Nurjahan Begum, 60, mother of Kiron Mia, also died at the hospital on Monday.
Kiron Mia, who suffered 70 per cent burns on his body, succumbed to the injury on early Tuesday. The body of the victim was kept in the DMCH morgue for an autopsy, Inspector Bacchu Miah of DMCH police outpost said.
Earlier on Monday morning, eight members of a family sustained burn injuries in a fire due to leak in gas pipeline at their house.
The other injured are Nurjahan Begum’s son Hiron Miah, 25, Hiron’s wife Mukta, 20, Abul Hossain, 25, Md Kawser, Lima, 3, and Apon, 10.
They hail from Shibpur upazila of Narsingdi and live on the ground floor of a five-storey building.
Mohammad Shahjahan, senior station officer of Adamjee Fire Service, said gas accumulated in their flat as the burner had remained open all night.
The fire started when one of their relatives Elias lighted a cigarette around 5:30am, said Inspector Bacchu Miah told Banglanews.
On information, a firefighting unit rushed to the spot and extinguished the fire.
Later, they rescued the injured family members who are currently being treated at the Burn and Plastic Surgery Department of DMCH.
BDST: 1251 HRS, FEB 18, 2020